SILK FLOWER HALF-CROWN

Friday, April 10, 2015

Silk Flower Half Crown DIY

During my Pinterest hunt for flower crown tutorials/inspiration, I rarely came across a pin that wasn’t specifically targeted towards brides, and the very few non-wedding related ones were geared towards Coachella attendees. Since I fall into neither of those categories (and have no plans to any time soon), I felt marginalized and forgotten. C’mon, blog world, could you be any more prejudiced? Do I really either have to have a ring on my finger or tickets to a music festival to be considered worthy of your flower crown tutorials?

This post is my attempt to be the change I want to see in the world (because I’m sure making flower crown-wearing more acceptable for people in all walks of life is what Gandhi had in mind when he made that statement). So, I would like to firmly and publicly state that no matter where or why you intend to wear your flower crown, this tutorial is for you.


Now that I'm riding a flower-crowns-are-for-everyone high horse, I decided to use silk flowers so in the future I could easily incorporate a flower crown into an outfit without having to forage in my garden first. (If you are interested in making a flower crown using fresh flowers/leaves/vines, you can see Kaitlin’s take on our flower crown theme.)

Materials:
  • Elastic braided headband (like this)
  • Silk flowers
  • Hot glue

Instructions:

1. Take your flowers and remove the stem where it meets the base of the flower.

2. Poke the base of the flower in between the braids of the headband. (Mine stayed put pretty well even before I glued them, so I was able to try it on and move them around to get the flowers exactly where I wanted them without having to guess what it would look like once I was wearing it.)


3. Hot glue the base of the flower to the headband. Apply the glue both in between the base and the headband and where the flower is poking through the headband.


4. After the crown dries, trim down the part of the flower that’s poking through the headband. Otherwise deal with it painfully stabbing you in the head the whole morning at church on Easter Sunday. Your choice.


That's it! Once your flower crown is finished, feel free to wear it wherever/however your beautiful little heart desires with zero expectation or judgement from this diy blogger.






I also made a flower crown for my precious niece to wear on her first Easter. Instead of using a headband, I used floral wire and followed this tutorial. Train ‘em young (and in this case really young), and the next generation won’t even realize there was a time where flower crowns weren’t for everyone. Sigh. That’ll be the day.





No comments :

Post a Comment